2016-10-25

Pre-OpenStack Summit Post

I am on my way to the summit – cutting it fine, as I will only be arriving after the keynotes have started on Day 1. That is part of my life being a religious orthodox Jew.

Just a few hours ago, I finished the festival of Sukkot, a festival where we ‘leave’ our homes for 8 days and move to a temporary house. Well not really leave the house – but we eat all our meals in the Sukkah for the whole festival.

It symbolizes the fact that we have faith in G-d and remember that life is was not so easy and that we left slavery in Egypt many years ago to become a free nation.

Going back to the title of the post.

Barcelona Summit

The main reason I am going to this summit is because I am co-presenting a session on the work
Shamail Tahir and myself have been leading with the Active User Contributor (AUC) working group over the past few months.

If you are interested in more details about the work – I will not rehash the post that has already been published - Recognizing active user contributors to OpenStack.

Please take a minute or three to read it over.

Great!! You are back.

I think that we are at a time where OpenStack is about to change, and for the better. Traditionally Operators and Users have been neglected left out of many of the decisions made in the projects, something which I have vocally opposed many a time (you can find most of my posts here) especially this one - We Are All OpenStack! Are We Really????.

A number of things have happened recently – and will continue to evolve over the next few months – which will enable Users and Operators to actually have a voice (at least that is my true hope and belief).

Proper representation, real recognition, and hopefully some more influence in directions and perhaps also priorities.

If you are going to be at the summit, make sure you join Shamail and myself presenting the work that was done over the past few months.

I hope that one day we will be able to look back on the past and reflect on a time once past, and understand that we are all now one community.

Looking forward to see you there!